Current:Home > InvestNorwegian mass killer begins second attempt to sue state for alleged breach of human rights -VisionFunds
Norwegian mass killer begins second attempt to sue state for alleged breach of human rights
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:08:54
STAVANGER, Norway (AP) — Norwegian right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a bombing and shooting rampage in 2011, launched his second attempt at suing the state on Monday, accusing the Justice Ministry of breaching his human rights.
Breivik, who has changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, claims that the isolation he’s been placed under since he started serving his prison sentence in 2012 amounts to inhumane punishment under the European Convention on Human Rights. He failed in a similar attempt in 2016 and 2017, when his appeal was ultimately slapped down by the European Court of Justice.
His lawyer, Øystein Storrvik, told The Associated Press that Breivik’s mental health has suffered from additional years in solitary confinement since then, leaving him “suicidal” and dependent on antidepressants. Storrvik said he would argue for an easing of restrictions and more contact with other inmates, and that he believed 12 1/2 years in isolation was “unique” in recent European judicial history.
Storrvik told the court on Monday that Breivik had hoped he could have had some form of “human relations” when he was moved from Skien prison to a spacious two-story complex in Ringerike prison near Oslo in 2022, but that the cells had been “turned into an isolation ward.”
In 2012, Breivik was convicted of mass murder and terrorism for a bombing that killed eight people in the government block in Oslo, and a shooting massacre on Utøya island where he gunned down 69 people at a holiday camp for youth activists from the center-left Labor Party.
Breivik, who described himself during the trial as an anti-Muslim crusader, pleaded not guilty, claiming he was acting in self defense to protect Norway from multiculturalism.
He received Norway’s most severe sentence at the time: detention for 21 years, with a provision to hold him indefinitely if he is still considered dangerous.
“It is no exaggeration to say that if the court does not put its foot down, then he will be sentenced to life in prison and will never be able to relate to other people,” Storrvik told the court Monday, according to Norwegian news agency NTB.
Breivik entered the makeshift courtroom in the gymnasium of Ringerike prison wearing a dark suit and tie, flanked by Storrvik. He did not flash a Nazi salute as he has done in court appearances in the past.
The government rejects Breivik’s claim that his prison conditions violate human rights.
A number of relaxations have been made in the restrictions Breivik is subject to, according to government lawyer Andreas Hjetland, who represents the Justice Ministry in the case, but the conditions are necessary for security.
Breivik has so far shown himself to be unreceptive to rehabilitative work according to a written statement from Hjetland to the court ahead of the trial, which is scheduled to end on Friday.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- The Reformation x Kacey Musgraves Collab Perfectly Captures the Singer's Aesthetic & We're Obsessed
- Musk deletes post about Harris and Biden assassination after widespread criticism
- Michigan names Alex Orji new starting QB for showdown vs. USC in Big Ten opener
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Low Boom, High Pollution? NASA Readies for Supersonic Test Flight
- Vote South Dakota forum aims to shed light on ‘complicated’ election
- Sunday Night Football: Highlights, score, stats from Texans' win vs. Bears
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Charlie Puth and Brooke Sansone Spark Marriage Speculation by Showing Off Rings in Italy
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Emmys: What you didn't see on TV, including Jennifer Aniston's ticket troubles
- Tito Jackson, member of the Jackson 5, has died at 70, his sons say
- Sofia Vergara's Stunning 2024 Emmys Look Included This $16 Beauty Product
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Ulta & Sephora Flash Sales: 50% Off Coola Setting Spray, Stila Eyeshadow, Osea Night Cream & $11.50 Deals
- Thousands in California’s jails have the right to vote — but here’s why many won’t
- An Iowa shootout leaves a fleeing suspect dead and 2 police officers injured
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Judge finds woman incompetent to stand trial in fatal stabbing of 3-year-old outside supermarket
Get $336 Worth of Tarte Makeup for $55 & More Deals on Top-Sellers Like Tarte Shape Tape & Amazonian Clay
Caitlin Clark breaks WNBA rookie scoring record, Fever star now at 761 points
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Demi Lovato Shares Whether She Wants Her Future Kids to Have Careers in Hollywood
Firefighters make progress in battling Southern California wildfires amid cooler weather
Kate Spade's Top 100 Under $100: $259 Bag for Just $49 Today Only, Plus Extra 20% Off Select Styles